Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Overboost Update and Current Plan

Over at react I was asked for any updates on the overboost issues I was having. Here's what I wrote:

- - - - - -

Basically, overboost is far better and I can fairly confidently drive it without overboosting now. It's not perfect, but I think it's safer - as in not as likely to accidentially hurt the engine. I will definitely go back to it at some stage in the future, but that will require larger $$$, so I'm leaving it for now.

My goal over-riding everything is that I want a car that I can take to the track and be fairly confident it will deal with it happily and afterwards be able to drive the same car home. Crazy overboosting out the kazoo would make it too easy to accidentially hurt the engine - for a n00b at least - so it had the highest priority. Now I need to get these oil leaks fixed as they could also be symptoms of a much larger problem. :( (And are a new addition to the car, so where not in the original plan.)

Once that is done I can then finally get the current big daddy of the issues done. The clutch. *fingers crossed*

With all those items done, and still running the 17"s, I'd be willing to take it to the track on the 27th and give it a bash. Following that I will probably re-address/perfect the overboost issue while also looking at getting some proper track oriented wheels.

Now as for how I plan to ultimately correct the overboost issue, I'm yet to make the final decision. I'm definitely tempted by just going crazy and getting a brand spankers Garret turbo. More realistically though, I like the idea of getting the current turbo modded to allow the fitment of an external wastegate. Least favoured is the idea of boring out the wastegate and enlarging the gate flap - just seems like more of a hack than modding for external wastegate.

Oh yeah, and there is the 'I wonder if it would work' option. That is to get an eBoost2 installed. One basic reason for wanting such a thing is that my current boost gauge centres at 2psi VACUM, so it needs to be replaced. Maybe not a good enough reason in itself, but read on. There is a school of thought that through the electronic boostgauges/boostcontrollers you can allow for better bleed off and control of your boost. Now I have nothing to say this idea would definitely work, but if it did it would be the cheapest option of all. However the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. :(

Anyway, so that's my current futures and what I'm thinking about the still remaining (reduced) overboost I'm experiencing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home