Saturday, September 02, 2006

Flappa Saga Cont.

So I had a play this evening with the fuel flapper (spent the rest of the day shopping and working on the daily - VN Commodore). First check (as suggested by REACT peeps) was the fueses. They all looked good so I decided to give it another go. Still didn't work, but I could hear the faintest clicking noise. So I pressed it few more times really softly and on and off. Lo' an' behold it sounded like the release 'thingy' was getting the signal from the switch and was trying to do it's thing. But for some reason, it just couldn't do it.

So I resorted to the less desired option of prying the flapper open to have a closer look. Not long after that I decided that if the only thing that had changed between when it used to work and now was the new fuel cap, why not remove it.

After removing it I shut the flap and gave it another go. It all worked. I put the new fuel cap back in and it failed. I took the cap out again and it worked. It's therefore the new cap.

On closer inspection and further playing, it appears that the new cap (being all nice and tight) is now pushing up against the door and as a result there is more pressure than usual against the release mechanism. I'm guessing that the extra pressure is too much for the solinoid (or whatever the actuator is) and as a result it is unable to actuate.

That puts me in a quandry. If I put the old fuel cap back in, fuel leaks out and will eventually damage the paintwork - if it hasn't already. If I leave the new fuel cap in (as I have) I wont be able to open it (without prying it) to put fuel in - and therefore can't drive it.

hmmm... I'll go back to it later and try and come up with a decision. :(

P.S. I did try greasing up the release clip etc. but to no avail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home