Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Clutch Story

As you all know, today was the day for the new clutch. I just got a call from the shop and they had an interesting story to tell me. It turns out that I had not been told the full true story about the drive train:
- The car has a S4 Gearbox - TRUE
- The car has a lightened flywheel - TRUE
- The car has a heavy duty clutch - NOT TRUE

It turns out that my car was just running the normal turbo clutch. Sure it had been replaced at one time, but that was it. No heavy duty clutch - 'far from it' was the shops comment. The clutch itself has been reported as not warn, it was purely slipping because it didn't have enough clamping force to maintain contact under power. Further, that explains why under normal driving it seemed to have no issue at all.

Following the above explanation they asked what type of clutch I wanted. I asked them what there was and whether it would be sufficient to still go with (the original plan) of a organic heavy duty clutch. Unfortunatly they explained to me that even an organic heavy duty clutch would not be sufficient, that I'd simply have to go with a sprung centre button clutch.

So as I write this they are now going about installing such a clutch. Should prove an interesting drive home. :D

Oz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home