Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Boost is dropping

So I have my tune and eBoost 2 booked for the 22nd, but I'm concerned that maybe something more sevre is going on. I've now noticed that I'm only getting around 4 pounds of boost as opposed to the stock 7/9 pound I was previously getting - which is opposed to the 10/15 I used to get (but that went a while back).

I was thinking my boost gauge might just not be reporting it properly, but I just checked it and all is connected fine. But then I also thought, the flutter is *noticeably* quieter which is a sure sign (I reckon) that there is less boost being produced.

I was thinking that maybe it is the boost controller (seeing I already think it'sscrewed), but boost controllers are not meant to be able to reduce maximum boost only increase it. So I guess that cancels that out.

So then I wonder if it is something with the exhaust. I did get the catalytic converter installed a while back, and I'm also thinking that the car is sounding quieter (exhaust wise), so I wonder if maybe that has got clogged up.

And I guess worst case would be the turbo has shat itself, but I guess it could also be that the intercooler is blocked up (maybe with oil) and as a result there is pressure building between the turbo and the intercooler stopping from being able to build boost. hmmmm, but then potentially the intercooler piping would pop off.

I really don't know. The only thing I'm sure of is the lack of boost and the quieter flutter. I'm not 100% sure if the exhaust is quiter and not sure about anything else. I guess I'll remove the boost controller sometime (damn it, busy tonight) just to be sure that is not it, and then maybe I'll have to change the tune to a diagnose and tune and maybe hold off on the eBoost 2.

hmmm.... maybe I should just ring now and mod the appointment... no point changing the system until I know it is working (or not working) 100%.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 13:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your unsure about your exhaust, why don't we drop it out and check the flow of you cat... I thought your car was sounding quieter than normal... So it could be the case. It will definetly lower boost. A busted boost controller will 100% definetly NOT drop boost lower than standard wastegate pressure, it can't...

Its up to you on the Eboost2, I chose it because it’s so much easier to tune with as it’s a more consistent boost curve and holds it strong. If you want to try my old manual single stage boost controller, by all means you can, won't take much to route..

As for intercooler being flooded so much with oil that you can't boost, doubt it... You would be burning a lot of oil out the exhaust and the car would be running really ruff...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home